Ferrous Metals and Alloys
Upcoming Training for this Course
There are no upcoming training events for this class scheduled.
This class identifies the major categories, properties, and uses of steels and their alloys.
Mechanical Properties of Metals 120; Metal Classification 150
Course Learning Objectives:
- Identify the basic ingredients of steel.
- Distinguish between steels and cast irons.
- Identify the types of cast irons.
- Describe plain carbon steel.
- Identify uses for different grades of carbon steel.
- Define alloy steel.
- Identify common alloying elements.
- Describe high-strength low-alloy steels.
- Describe stainless steel.
- Identify the types of stainless steels.
- Define tool steel.
- Distinguish between different types of tool steels.
- Define superalloy.
- Describe how to select the best alloy.
- Ferrous Metals Today
- Steel vs. Cast Iron
- Types of Cast Iron
- Plain Carbon Steel
- Grades of Carbon Steel
- Alloy Steels
- Common Alloying Elements
- High-Strength Low-Alloy Steels
- Stainless Steels
- Types of Stainless Steels
- Tool Steels
- Types of Tool Steels
- Selecting the Best Alloy